8.20.2009

Christmas

I like to write. I sit in all my classes and write about the things that my teachers say. I am taking this Religious Studies class; Religious Myths and Rituals. I thought it was going to be like a Philosophy class, where they tell me there is no God or some shit like that. I dropped this class twice, but eventually I had no choice. They do sortaa belittle typical religious practices, but alot of the subjects we talk about in the class are very informative.

For example, today my TA spoke about a little about how Christmas does not actually symbolize the birth of Jesus. It is really a derivitive of a Pagan Roman holiday . Romans used to celebrate the winter solstice doing alot of the same practices done today in the Christmas holiday. So when Romans adopted Christianity, they continued thier celebrations of the winter solstice, but said it was Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave it here.